Journey of the Soul is a partnership between Accidental Talmudist and The Jewish Learning Institute. In this 12-part course, we examine the traditional Jewish perspective on life, death, soul, heaven, hell, reincarnation and many related issues. Join us!
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 1 – part 1 of 2
In Class 1, we cover the first half of Lesson 1: A Jewish Perspective on Life and Beyond.
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 1 – part 2 of 2
The soul is reluctant to enter this world and reluctant to leave this world. What changes in between?
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 2 – part 2 of 2
What is more valuable, time or money? We all know it’s time, but we don’t live that way. In this lesson we cover some techniques that help us make the most of our time, not only by prioritizing correctly but …
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 2 – part 1 of 2
The benefits of imagining the day of one’s death.
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 3 – part 1 of 2
What happens to the soul at the moment of transition from this world to the next?
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 3 – part 2 of 2
We’ve learned what happens to the soul when it leaves the body. Now let’s look at what happens to the body after the funeral.
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 4 – part 1 of 2
What do the concepts of Heaven and Hell mean in Judaism?
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 4 – part 2 of 2
Paradise and Reincarnation according to Jewish thought.
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 5 – part 1 of 2
We’ve been talking about souls and death in a somewhat abstract manner. Now let’s talk about concrete practices surrounding these issues from the perspective of the bereaved. How much mourning is enough? How much is too much? How do we …
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 5 – part 2 of 2
What can we do to comfort a mourner who is “stuck” in a grief that incapacitates?
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 6 – part 1 of 2
So far in our class we’ve taken it as a given that humans die. We’ve discussed what death means and what to do about it, but is it a given? Judaism teaches that in the Messianic Age, death will be …
- Journey of the Soul: Lesson 6 – part 2 of 2
In our final session we examine Ezekiel’s account of the dry bones and the mysterious law of the red heifer to see what the Resurrection of the Dead in the Messianic Age can teach us about our physical and emotional …